If you have yellow or discolored teeth, teeth whitening can remove stains and give you a brighter, more beautiful smile. But what causes your teeth to lose their pearly white shine?
There are several reasons why your teeth may be yellow or discolored:
1. Diet: Foods and beverages that are high in tannins and sugar—such as red wine, tomatoes, apples, coffee, and soda—can cause your teeth to become stained and appear yellow.
2. Smoking: One of the main causes of yellow or brown teeth is smoking. Smoking stains are stubborn, but teeth whitening and following a consistent oral health routine can help lighten the stains.
3. Medical conditions: Some medical conditions or medications can cause yellow, stained, or discolored teeth. For example, antihistamines and head and neck radiation can cause one’s teeth to darken.
4. Poor oral hygiene: Poor oral hygiene can contribute to yellow teeth. If you don’t brush and floss regularly, bacteria and plaque will build up on and around your teeth, affecting your enamel and tooth color.
5. Fluoride: Excessive use of fluoride can cause your teeth to look yellow.
6. Age: As we age, so do our teeth. Over time, the enamel wears away and reveals the dentin underneath.
If you have yellow teeth and desire a whiter smile, Dr. Gladnick can help you achieve the beautiful smile you deserve.
To schedule your teeth whitening appointment, call our Rockville, MD dental office at (301) 963-0800.